One of the features that has been requested by various Magento users is the ability to generate a set of unique coupon codes for a single ‘shopping cart promotion’. This feature is ideal to track the customers that are using your coupon codes and to identify which Email marketing campaigns or promotions are successful. With Magento Enterprise 1.12 and Community Edition 1.7, it is finally possible to generate multiple coupon codes for the same shopping cart promotion and easily manage and monitor coupon code usage.
Creating a shopping cart price rule with multiple coupon codes
1. Go to the ‘Promotions’ –> ‘Shopping cart price rules’ menu and create a new promotion.
2. In the ‘Rule Information’ tab set all the necessary details and select the ‘Specific Coupon’ option in the ‘Coupon’ attribute.
3. Check the ‘Use Auto Generation’ checkbox. If you select and save the rule you will be able to generate multiple coupon codes under the ‘Manage Coupon Codes’ tab, otherwise this feature will be disabled.
4. Make sure you set all the desired promotion ‘Conditions’, ‘Actions’ and ‘labels’.
5. Click on the ‘Save and Continue edit’ button.
6. Go to the ‘Manage coupon codes’ tab and set the quantity of coupon codes you’ll generate, the coupon code’s length, its format (Alphanumeric, numeric or Alphabetical), and any desired prefix or suffix.
7. It is also possible to define a number of x characters after which a hyphen ‘-‘ will be inserted. So if you set the attribute ‘Dash Every X Characters’ to ‘4’ the code generated will have this format ‘xxxx-xxxx-xxxx’.
8. Click on the ‘Generate’ button and a list of shopping cart coupon codes will be generated. This section will inform you if the coupon code has been used and the number of times that coupon code was used.
Additional advice on how to use the coupon code features
- It is possible to export a list of the coupon codes to a CSV or excel file. This can be used for marketing reporting proposes or in newsletters, sms or email campaigns to send unique coupon codes to your customers.
- If the shopping cart price rule has been used in automated email reminder rules it will be automatically unassigned after the shopping cart price rule is saved.
- If you want your customers to be able to use each of those coupon codes only once you will need to make sure that the ‘Uses per Coupon’ option under the ‘Rule information’ tab is set to ‘1’. In this case a customer will still be eligible for the promotion multiple times if he uses multiple coupon codes that belong to the same promotion. However each coupon code may be used by one customer only once.